Sunday, October 6, 2013

Breaking Bad?


When I watch Breaking Bad, especially marathonning it which is how i almost always watch tv series, it taps into a deep-seated belief that I am evil at my core, and I find myself relating to Walter White to the extent that I find myself quietly convinced that I am walking a similar path or descending into irredeemable ways and going towards a cliff over which my conscience and self awareness will disappear forever. The terror of the dawning certainty that I am the person who destroys or repels everyone around them because they think they know best.  In my dreams I *am* him.

It's the same with Dexter, only he is more sympathetic and does that android thing 'I am so sad that I don't have emotions'. He wonders about his soul.

I know it's just good old depression and its tricksy ways, and that people are people and I don't buy into good and bad, deserving and undeserving, and that I am just a normal person. But I do wonder whether those beliefs about myself, called to by these characters (I am loathe to call them thoughts, it is just the sort of vague certainty that follows you around after a dream you can't remember) are simply a 'negative thought' on the surface that can be CBT'd away, or whether it's something deeper, something that will always be there.

I suppose we can all relate to coldblooded killers, and have that tantalising fear of what lurks within us, or those shows wouldn't be such a commercial success.
Then there's the fear of changing into something else, an other - lit up for me with incredible clarity in cronenberg's 'The Fly'.

No comments:

Post a Comment